The following opportunities are available to Oakland Catholic High School students through local Colleges, Universities, and businesses. These opportunities are presented to our students so they can have first hand experiences in the fields that interest them most.
Check back often; this page is updated as we receive new information regarding upcoming student opportunities. Stop in and see your School Counselor with any questions.
- January 11 & 18, February 15 & 22, March 21, April 4, 2020: Various Programs, Duquesne University
- Oakland Planning and Development Corporation
- Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
- The National Aviary
Duquesne University, Accounting Honors Institute, is offering three sessions for high school students.
- Enterprise Resource Planning (January 11 &18)
- Fraud and Forensics (February 15 & 22)
- Financial Statement Analysis (March 21 & April 4)
The program is $25 per session. For more information visit their website at duq.edu/business/AHI
OPDC’s Future Makers program offers free, hands-on career exploration workshops that take place on the first two Saturdays of each month.They are located at the Thelma Lovette YMCA, located at 2114 Centre Avenue in the Hill District.
- Lunch is provided at 11:30 AM
- Workshops run from 12:00 noon until 2:00 PM
More information is available at https://www.opdc.org/youth.
Teen Programs are available at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium!
Meet our keepers and find out what it's really like to work at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.
- October-April dates are available
- Grades 9-12
Looking for a fun way to get those community service hours? Spend the summer volunteering at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium! Space is extremely limited.
- Registration takes place on the first business day of January ONLY
- Ages 14-17
Semester-based courses for high school students who are interested in exploring science and conservation.
- Fall, spring and summer semesters
- Grades 9-12
Fore more information about any of these programs, call 412-365-2528 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The National Aviary is seeking outgoing High School students to join our volunteer program! This is a great way for students age 15 and up to earn community service hours, gain valuable experience, boost college applications, develop new skills, and make new friends.
No bird experience or knowledge is necessary. We currently have opportunities for students to operate our bird flight simulator, assist in special event weekends, facilitate crafts, and assist educators in outreach programs.
If you have any questions please contact - Volunteer Department at 412-258-9455 or email email@example.com.
- Summer 2020: Duke University -- Applications Due: December 3, 2019
- Summer 2020: Immerse Education Essay Competition, Cambridge, UK
- Summer 2020: Early College, University of Alabama
- June 21-28, 2020: Reynolds Young Writers Workshop, Denison University
- June 28 - July 25, 2020: Iacocca Global Entrepreneurship, Lehigh University
- June 29 - July 25, 2020: Health Career Scholar Academy, University of Pittsburgh
- July 5-31, 2020: Agricultural Sciences Summer Program, Penn State
- July 9-13, 2020: Semper Fidelis All-American Program
Duke Summer Session Opportunities are open for enrollment!Summer College for High School Students
- July 5-31, 2020
Summer Academy for High School Students
- Term 1: June 14 - July 3, 2020
- Term 2: July 12 - 31, 2020
Accelerated STEM Academy
- Session 1: June 21 – 26, 2020 (Residential)
- Session 2: July 5 – 10, 2020 (Residential)
- Session 3: July 19 – 24, 2020 (Commuter & Residential)
For more information on all of the programs visit:
Applications are due by December 3.
Immerse Education Essay Competition: Opportunity to win a scholarship to participate in an academic summer program in Cambridge, UK.
For more information go to https://www.immerse.education/essay-competition/
University of Alabama is offering Early College for sophomores, juniors and seniors. You can earn college credits over the summer.
For more information, including applicant requirements and cost, visit uaearlycollege.ua.edu
Reynolds Young Writers Workshop.
The Reynolds Young Writers Workshop at Denison is an energizing 8-day program for motivated high school students (rising juniors and seniors) who love to write. The workshop is held each June on the beautiful campus of Denison University, a leading liberal arts college, in the village of Granville, Ohio.
- June 21-28, 2020
- The cost is $1350.
The online application process begins on January 2, 2020 and the application deadline is March 1, 2020.
For more information visit Reynolds.denison.edu
Lehigh University Iacocca Global Entrepreneurship: If you are interested in a career in business, consider applying for a summer program at Lehigh University. The program runs from June 28-July 25.
For more information visit their website at global.lehigh.edu/iacocca-
University of Pittsburgh Health Career Scholar Academy: If you are interested in a career in healthcare consider applying for a summer program at Pitt. The program is from June 29-July 25.
For more information, an application and cost visit their website at www.hcsa.pitt.edu
Penn State School for Excellence in Agricultural Sciences: If you are interested in a career in agriculture, consider applying for a summer program at Penn State. The program runs from July 5-31, 2020.
For more information, including cost, an application and a schedule, visit http://agsci.psu.edu/school-
The Semper Fidelis All-American Program is offered to student athletes (Juniors) with good moral character and academic performance of a 3.5 GPA or higher. Students must play a competitive team sport and be active volunteers in the community and hold a student or community leadership position.
For more information go to https://sfaap.marines.com/