2021 Virtual Global Showcase
Welcome to the 5th Annual (and 2nd virtual) GCI Global Showcase! This year's showcase features insightful work from our Global Competence Initiative Scholars. Follow the sequential tabs below to view their compelling presentations.
Preeti Gupta, OCHS '96
Preeti Gupta is the Head of Corporate Affairs for BMW Group Asia, based in Singapore. She is responsible for Corporate, Brand and Product Communication across the Importer Market region for both BMW and MINI brands, which includes the National Sales Company in Singapore and Importer Markets (Brunei, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Guam, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, New Caledonia Philippines, Sri Lanka, Tahiti, Vietnam). Prior to joining BMW Group Asia in April 2016, Preeti worked for public relation’s agencies in both the US and India for more than 15 years, working with MNCs and start-ups in the technology, automotive and lifestyle sectors. Preeti graduated from Oakland Catholic in 1996.
The posters you will see tonight are only a summary of a larger research project these seniors worked on over the course of this school year. Most of these posters also include maps the students constructed from scratch using Tableau Public software. Each poster is also accompanied by a short audio clip that will provide some added explanation of the topic.
To view a presentation, click on a title/photo in the grid below then scroll down. You are encouraged to ask the students questions and leave comments about these wide-ranging subjects by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page. Note: The images may take a moment to load after clicking - thanks in advance for your patience!
First and foremost, thanks to Preeti Gupta for agreeing to deliver tonight’s keynote address! Alessandra and I would also like to thank Cindy McNulty, retired OC teacher and creator of the GCI program, for providing us with guidance throughout this challenging school year. We couldn’t have sustained the program without her. Similarly, our president, Mary Claire Kasunic, has been essential in promoting GCI’s work to the OC community. She provided Alessandra and me with invaluable advice and kept our work aligned with the school’s mission. We’re also grateful for the administration, Marisa Bragg and Nikki Powell, who supported us in scheduling and organizing events. Lastly, we’d like to thank our students, coworkers and the many community organizations who helped to support this program. By offering seminars, workshops, lectures, and more, the following helped to ensure that global competence remained a key aspect of an Oakland Catholic education in 2020-2021...
Our closest community partners continue to be:
- The National Consortium for Teaching About Asia: Brenda Jordan, Patrick Hughes, and Stephen Wludarski
- The Global Studies Center at the University of Pittsburgh: Veronica Dristas, Elaine Linn, and Maja Konitzer
- Asian Studies Center at the University of Pittsburgh: Lynn Kawaratani and Cathy Fratto
Additional Community Resources in 2021:
The World Affairs Council of Pittsburgh, The August Wilson Center, The Carnegie Libraries, Duquesne University, Carnegie Mellon University, University Center for International Studies at Pitt, The Holocaust Center of Pittsburgh, The Frick Museum, The Carnegie Museums, Center for Latin American Studies at Pitt: Film Series, Classroom Without Borders, and the many families who instill a curiosity about the world in their daughters.
Partners at Oakland Catholic:
- Model UN - Heidi Rinkacs and Maura Doyle
- Director of Mission Integration - Dorrie Donahue
- Travel Tales 2020 Faculty Presenters: Maura Doyle, Kelly Wall, Emily D'Amico
- Travel Tales 2021 Student Presenters: Megan McNelis '21, Isabel Doshi '23, Angelina Sora '21, Madelinn Kubiska '23, Audrey Flannagan '22, Lauren Rajasenan '23
- The OC Joan of Arc Society of Scholars - Dr. Theresa Doerfler
- The OC Virtual World Fair - Heather Day
- The OC Asian Cultures Club - Briana Caldwell '22, Maya Weaver '21, Amanda Santora '21
- Good Samaritan Food Bank - Grace Byrnes '21
- St. Benedict the Moor Club - Kayla Kinney '21