The Math and Science Departments hosted a STEM Assembly on Friday, December 1st. Teachers designed a range of activities to cover student interests. Activities included a Spaghetti Tower, Foam Plate Gliders, Slow Rising Balloons, Hour of Code, Innovation Lab Keepsakes, Chemistry Goo and STEM Jeopardy! This was a fun and critical learning event for both students and faculty.
- Spaghetti Tower: Use the design cycle to compete against other groups to see who can build the tallest tower out of limited and odd resources.
- Foam Plate Gliders: Compete against other groups to see who can create the foam plate glider (similar to a paper airplane) that flies the farthest and controlled with the best accuracy.
- Slow Rising Balloon: Solve an actual "Science Olympiad" event and make your helium balloon rise slower than anybody else's.
- Hour of Code: Learn the basic components of circuits, resistors, LED's and buzzers. Create simple circuits on a breadboard and learn how to control them with an Arduino Nano.
- Innovation Lab: Visit the Innovation Lab and create a small keepsake to take home.
- STEM Jeopardy: Play a STEM-themed jeopardy game show.
- Chemistry Goooooo: Use the Chemistry rooms to create bouncy balls.