On Wednesday, March 24, three OC students; Allie Edwards, OCHS'21, Charlotte Devlin, OCHS'23, and Gina Palladino, OCHS'23, participated in a regional science fair called PRSEF (Pittsburgh Regional Science and Engineering Fair.) The event, held in a virtual format, required students to participate in online interviews for their projects and scholarships. They also had the opportunity to attend STEM-related presentations throughout the day.
PRSEF is open to middle and high school students. It is a separate event from PJAS. Participation is voluntary and there are over 1000 participants each year from the Pittsburgh area. In competing, students not only acquire scientific research presentation practice, but also have the opportunity to win monetary awards as well as local college scholarships.
With the virtual format this year, students conducted their research over the past few months. Then, they composed a scientific paper presenting their research project. On the day of the fair, they met with judges (scientists) to briefly present their projects and then field questions from the judges. Some of our students have been selected for scholarship interviews:
- Gina Palladino - interviewed by Thiel College (for scholarship) and U.S. Stockholm Junior Water Prize (sponsor)
- Charlotte Devlin - interviewed by Washington and Jefferson College (for scholarship)
The results are in!
- 4th place award in the senior division (9th-12th) for Earth and Environment (also gets $25)
- Perseverance Award for being an Associate Scientist (10th grade students with four or five years of participation; Gina had five years)
- Thiel College scholarship recipient - Thiel College will award up to four $2,000 scholarships which would be renewable for four years.
- Perseverance Award for being an Associate Scientist (12th grade students with three or four years; Allie had four years),