School Counseling Overview:
A School Counselor at Oakland Catholic High School is responsible for implementing all aspects of the comprehensive counseling program that clearly articulates the standards set forth by the Association School Counselors Association (ASCA) which include academic development, career development and social/emotional development. The ideal candidate will be able to successfully interact with students, parents, administrators, School and College Counselors, and faculty on a regular basis. In addition, the School Counselor will work with Administration to enhance and further develop the program so that it adapts to student need. The position requires professionalism, excellent communication skills, flexibility and organization.
Status: Long Term Substitute for the remainder of the 23-24 school year
Reports to: Principal
Master’s degree in school counseling; Education Specialist I Elementary and Secondary School Counselor Pennsylvania Certification; understanding of the expectations of the position and demonstrated ability to work independently in a creative and innovative fashion; current clearances to work within a Catholic school in the Diocese of Pittsburgh; a commitment to Catholic education and a clear understanding of the expectations of all constituents in a college-preparatory high school setting such as Oakland Catholic High School. Ideally, the candidate will demonstrate a genuine willingness to grow within the role and actively pursue professional
growth opportunities and ways to enhance the School Counseling Department.
- Meets regularly with students on caseload, both as a group and individually, to develop positive rapport as well as provide academic and social emotional counseling.
- Researches, prepares, and presents parent presentations that align with ASCA standards and school wide strategic plan.
- Planning and/or promoting programs which enhance the academic, social or emotional growth of students.
- Working with the School and College Counseling Administrative Assistant to maintain accurate files and documentation.
- Participates in a team that creates the master course schedule. Works with individual students on scheduling courses that fit their academic needs and goals.
- Maintains records for students with Individualized Support Plans and works with the Academic Support teacher and faculty to ensure that accommodations are up to date and followed.
- Articulates the curriculum of the School Counseling program of Oakland Catholic High School to students, on a regular basis through their individual and group counseling meetings.
- Develops and/or implements programs that focus on social/emotional development.